As the leading provider of window coverings in Tewkesbury, Laskeys is dedicated to helping you make the best choices for your home. Choosing the right curtains, blinds, or shutters is not just about style; it’s about functionality, safety, and complementing the unique characteristics of each room in your home. In this blog, we’ll guide you through the key factors to consider when selecting window coverings.
Understanding the Function of the Room
Each room in your home serves a different purpose, and your window coverings should reflect that.
- Living Rooms and Lounges: These areas often require a balance between privacy and natural light. Opt for light-filtering curtains or blinds that can be adjusted according to the time of day.
- Bedrooms: Privacy and light control are paramount. Blackout curtains or blinds can be ideal, especially in bedrooms used by children or for shift workers needing to sleep during the day.
- Kitchens and Bathrooms: Look for moisture-resistant materials. Urban Polysilk shutters are great choices as they resist warping and mildew.
Considering Room Orientation
The direction your room faces significantly impacts the amount of light it receives.
- South-Facing Rooms: These rooms get a lot of light. To avoid fading of furniture and to control heat, consider UV-protective blinds.
- North-Facing Rooms: Lighter, thermal-backed curtains can help keep the room warm and maximise the limited light.
- East and West-Facing Rooms: Light control is crucial here, especially during sunrise and sunset. Adjustable blinds or wave curtains can offer flexibility.
Balancing Heat and Light
The right window coverings can help you manage the temperature and brightness of your room.
- Insulation: Thermal curtains or blinds can help keep your room warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Light Control: Sheer curtains can diffuse natural light beautifully, while heavier fabrics can block it out when needed.
Child Safety Considerations
Safety is a crucial aspect, especially in homes with young children.
- Look for cordless blinds or shutters to eliminate the risk of strangulation.
- Ensure all window coverings are securely installed and out of reach of children.
Design and Aesthetics
Your window coverings should complement the overall design of your room.
- Colour and Pattern: Choose colours that match or complement your room’s palette. Patterns can add depth and interest.
- Material: From luxurious velvet curtains to sleek wooden shutters, the material can significantly impact the room’s feel.
- Maintenance: Consider how easy the window coverings are to clean and maintain.
- Sustainability: Eco-friendly materials can be a great choice for those environmentally conscious.
- Integration with Home Automation Systems: Some blinds and shutters can be integrated with smart home systems for ease of use.
As you can see, the right window coverings can transform a room, balancing functionality with aesthetic appeal. At Laskeys, we understand the importance of finding the perfect window covering for your individual style and needs. We discuss these things with you when we visit to provide a free quote. Alternatively, you can visit our Tewkesbury showroom for personalised advice and a wide range of quality options. Let us help you make your house feel more like a home.
Please get in touch using one of the methods below. Alternatively, you can fill out our enquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.